Friday, May 16, 2008

Things that make me nervous.....

1. Clowns
(can't even post a picture...too scary!)

2. Disney Characters (mainly the scary ones)


3. People dressed up in costume standing outside gas stations, fast food restaurants, accounting firms during tax season.


4. watching scary movies alone

5. bees (I'm allergic)


6. eyes

7. my feet being touched

8. riding a bike


***not in any particular nervous order!!

This is just an abridged version of things that make me nervous. You are probably thinking that I'm a big wimp - but notice that things like - giving blood, skiing, sailing, driving a car, eating fast food (I'm having problems thinking of better examples) are missing from my little list. The reason I am showing you (as embarrassing as this is) my little list is because you should note item #8....riding a bike!

As my earlier posts have stated - I just bought a bike. I have always wanted to ride a bike (I'm just terrified of falling off of it). As a child - I did ride a bike...I have pictures to prove it, but it was a very small snoopy blue bike...and I didn't ride it that frequently. Oh, and there was that one time at summer camp...but that's about it in my bike riding resume.

This all has led me to today - a 31 year old who now owns a bike she is afraid to ride! Yes, that's me! BAS (who has now fled the country, probably due to my amazing cycling skills) gave me a few lessons. These lessons consisted of him holding the back of the bike and me riding around his neighborhood. I eventually was able to ride without him holding on - but I have only ridden around his hood a couple times. So guess what I'm going to do on Saturday AM?!?!?!?! Go riding!

Scary, scary, scary! I'm going out with my friend AF...who swears that she will be slow (right!). We are headed out to the SC Trail....hopefully in a section that doesn't have too many runners (I'm even more nervous that I will hit someone - my cycling skill set being super low). So wish me luck.....and pray that I stay on the bike the whole time!! Maybe if this works out #8 can be taken off my list!!

3 comments:

P.O.M. said...

You'll have fun. Especially at a slow pace and not with lots of people around. Can't wait to hear about it.

The Laminator said...

Just like in running...start slow, control your pace, watch out for obstacles, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Ali said...

we are nervous twins ... costumed people in front of restaurants .. check ... bees .. .check and riding a bike ... check ... actually, it's more falling off the bike