Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm going to live forever, I'm going to learn how to fly


My first ballet class was last night - and although I would like to tell you it was a scene right out of the show Fame with me running across the room and flying into the air....I would be lying. Picture 15 random women from age 22 - 50 standing around in Lycra pants and various t-shirts and tank tops...trying to learn how to pliƩ . If this breaks it down for you further....I felt like a star pupil...and my skills in ballet are lacking. There were some women who had been in the class for about 20 weeks and then others, much like myself, that had just joined. My favorite person in the class was this women who appeared to be in her late 40's. She had on pale ballet pink from head-to-toe. She had her hair in a bun with a white headband. She was sporting a pink sports bra, pink tights and a matching pink leotard over top. Over all of this pinkness she had a pink wrap ballet skirt around her waist. My favorite feature of her outfit was her pink leg warmers...which were scrunched down. I thought the leg warmers were the most daring piece of her ensemble because outside it was 87 degrees! Oh, I almost forgot she also had on the most important ballet accessory of all....her pink ballet slippers. This women's outfit screamed a combination of....high skill level/I teach a 5-6 year old ballet class down the hall. To my shock - she was just a regular student (not even of the gifted and talented ballet level)...who was not afraid to dress for the occasion.

I don't mean to make fun of her....to be honest - I think I have leg warmer jealousy....(I guess I just wish I could pull that look off and bring out my rainbow brite legwarmers for ballet class!)

she made my class very enjoyable...I actually can't wait to see what she wears next week. The class was very fun....I really worked my calves and feet. I think its going to be a really beneficial addition to my training. My instructor is awesome....Can't wait for next Monday!!

Tonight is my first running group session!! I haven't been to a run with this group in a while since my injury...and everyone is starting at the same mileage level so I'm looking forward to it.

6 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! Leg warmers, huh? Now taht's dedication right there.

Wes said...

As an everyman triathlete, I can commiserate with her. It IS all about how you look :-)

P.O.M. said...

Reminds me of when I started running and thought my matchy matchy outfits had to match my running shoes, watch and hat. Now I'm lucky if anything kinda matches - picture Punky Brewster in running gear. ha ha.

Aron said...

have fun tonight!!

haha love the picture you painted of the lady... i am sure that was pure entertainment.

teacherwoman said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Once we had 80's night at Spin class and I wanted to find leg warmers so bad!

jen said...

How fun! I did a ballet class a couple years ago. It was fun. But, alas, I will never be a ballerina because I can't pirroutte to save my life. Bad balance or something. :(

I want some leg warmers! They are kinda cute, and would be cozy for around the house. Too bad I don't have any leftover from my childhood!